Saturday, February 20, 2010

Close Up Photography, Minus The Macro Lens

If you are a new owner of a DSLR camera and love taking pictures up close and personal, as in macro photography ~ but for some reason are holding off on purchasing a macro lens,  here's an option  for you.  I took some pictures   with my 7D Canon and a 50mm f /1.8 lens and a $25.00 Quantaray Close Up Set of filter lenses.
First of all, the filter set comes in this case

January (139 of 1)

inside of which are  three lenses you can attach to the 50mm lens, one by one or altogether.

January (141 of 1)

Now bear in mind that when you're using the 50mm ~this is about as near or far as you can get in order to take a close up photo ~ no zooming in.
Different shot different subject, still with the 50mm lens by itself.  Here's my Benders basketball dude and my collectible Conan KeepaKlip from my store and sample stash.  This is the closest, clearest I can get with just the 50mm.  Not bad.  I love my 50mm.

January (142 of 1)

Now, let me get closer with the +4 lens attached to the 50mm.  Same  Bender dude, with Conan. About 6 inches away.

January (146 of 1)

Now, I really want to close up on Conan since he needs some attention lately ~ and I kind of like the guy.  I attached all three add-on lenses to my 50mm and I'm about a couple inches away with this last shot.

January (147 of 1)

See how easy that was?  And I did NOT spend $600 on a macro lens.  I can go outside and find some cool bug [except that it's winter] and take some cool outdoor photography!  Here are some online reviews of this filter set. Yup, I did my homework and I'll save you the trouble.
Now when you go to a camera store, you must ask for these lenses.  If you talk about close up photography, they'll want to sell you the expensive stuff.  Not many will mention this alternative.  They are available in different diameters.  For $25.00, it will tide you over until you have disposable money to splurge.
Now go on, and have fun with your hobby!  And while you're at it, you even have enough for a cup of coffee!  Cheers!! Say CHEESE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment