Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Camera and Me, The Journey

About a couple years ago, I bought my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel xTi.  I shot in green, automatic mode.  That was all I knew and I was too lazy to pick up my reading glasses to read the manual. I don't read manuals well. I'm a hands on learner, albeit a quick learner.

In June of last year, I had a fun conversation with @ShutterBugGeek on Twitter.  I loved some of the pictures she was sharing and I started to chat with her.  She recommended that I read Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure.  It helped me. A lot.  I was photographing flowers in the neighborhood.  I was June and all the roses were blooming.

Then I showed my son what I learned and let him read the book.  Being the techie that he is and a sponge, he quickly started shooting BETTER pictures with his lowly Rebel xT. 

I passed my camera down to him, sold his camera to my sister and purchased a Canon 50D.  I was hooked. And so was my son.

Months later, as our skills progressed we did another fun switcheroo.  This time, with my daughter who wanted in!  She got the Canon xTi,  my son got the Canon 50D and ME?  I am the proud and happy owner of the LAST camera I will buy, a Canon 7D.

I'm learning so much so quickly.  It's a fantastic hobby that anyone can pick up.  I started in June.  It hasn't even been a year.


I've taken MANY floral photos since then!
What a trip!  I'm loving it!

I'll share what I've learned here.  Easy layman's lingo.  No manual required.  I hope you enjoy the journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment